Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Ah...spaghetti and meatballs. One of my favorite feel good foods. My dad makes the most amazing meatballs but for some reason even though I use the same recipe as him...I can never make them taste as good as his!

Since having this revelation I have been on a hunt for a delicious meatball recipe that I can add to my arsenal of cooking knowledge (which is quite small at this point!). I recently tried a Cook's Illustrated version of meatballs that was a ton of work and the end result was definitely not worth all the effort. Two of my favorite food bloggers happened to use variations of the same recipe so I thought it would definitely be worth a try. Since we love cheese in this house I did add some grated parmesan cheese to the meatballs which I really enjoyed. This recipe exceeded my expectations! We will definitely be making this again.





Spaghetti & Meatballs

Sauce:
Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato puree (29 oz can)
1 can tomato sauce (29 oz can)
2 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper

Meatballs:
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 tsp dried parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

For the sauce - heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent and soft. Add tomato sauce, tomato puree, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let sauce come to simmer. Cover and let simmer for around 2 hours.

For the meatballs - in a large bowl mix together 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs and the milk. Let soak for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients into milk/breadcrumb mixture and mix together with your hands. Form balls out of the mixture (we made about 12 large meatballs out of this). Add meatballs to the simmering sauce for last 45-55 minutes before the sauce finished cooking or until meatballs are cooked through.


Source: Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker


CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment